Welcome to Middle School
During essential times of emotional, social, physical and academic growth, FWCD provides an optimal approach to achieving the extraordinary.
The middle school years are a transitional time filled with challenges and exponential potential.
The Mason Middle School, grades 5-8, serves as a transition from the nurturing world of the Bass Lower School to the heightened expectations of the Bass Upper School. Faculty continue to support students’ physical, social, emotional and academic development and help them accept more personal responsibility along the way. Individualized learning strategies foster each student’s unique talents and gifts.Here in the Middle School, students are introduced to activities that broaden their interests. The inherent risk in “trying something new” leads to an opportunity for students to revel in their successes and to develop resilience in the face of setbacks — both valuable elements in developmental and academic maturation.
Middle School also prepares students for the rigor of the Upper School. Faculty teach fundamental concepts in each subject area while helping students understand their personal process of successful learning. With this understanding, students can grow to appreciate and embrace the acquisition of knowledge.
Middle School Distinctions
- Academic advisory program.
- Grades 5-8 curriculum-based overnight trips; Grades 7-8 Center for International Studies trip opportunities.
- Short-term international student hosting opportunities
- Awesomeness Initiative Program (nongraded elective courses intended to fuel passions as well as add exposure to the skills required in the 21st-century workforce.
- Grades 5-6 sports integration; Grades 7-8 competitive sports.